Revenge of the nerds! The Geek Chic style is fun and liberating. Unleash your nerd, you know you want to. Here’s my attempt at nerd girl fashion.
Geek Chic Style
Ahh, nerd fashion is so nostalgic. It brings back our childhood memories of dorky mismatched clothes into modern day older, wiser eyes. We didn’t really think too much of what we wore back when we were kids – so it’s fun to revisit our innocence as adults. That’s one of the best things about fashion – it lets us recapture the past in some small way.
So embrace your inner weirdness, be quirky and don’t be afraid to stand out! Take a time machine back into the past – look through your wardrobe and old school draw, to discover what some things can be recycled and reused! Whether it looks good for the crowds does not matter in the slightest, because today’s nerd style is about dressing for yourself.
How to Pull of the Nerdy Chic Style?
Honestly, the fun thing about the nerd style is there are no rules! Just be creative and mixmatched and colourful as you want! It’s about showing off your personality – how liberating is that? But here are some basics that will get you the nerd girl look straight away:
- Glasses! A must have accessory is optical glasses, or just your standard black framed spectacles. I got mine from Typo for $10. If you’re having trouble finding a pair, just buy really cheap black framed sunglasses, and then poke the lens’ out.
- Bad Sweater or a tie-neck blouse: A tie-neck blouse will give you a cute bow for that innocent schoolgirl look. A bad sweater is fun, fun, fun!
- Pleated Skirt: I went for a Clueless style patterned and pleated skirt, which I bought a few years back from American Apparel. A pleated skirt is a versatile piece – it achieves the perfect balance between youth and sophistication and can be paired with anything. Extra nerd points if you DON’T lift the hem, but keep it long!
- Leather Satchel/Backpack: Trade in your black designer purse (or fake designer purse, whichever way you roll) for a cute backpack. Kylie Jenner loves that look too. It’s practical and makes a statement – “I’m organised and ready to learn!”
- Books on standby: Because you never know when you’ll be in a discussion and you need to whip out a book to reference some author.
- Knee high socks: Anyone who follows me would see that I’m a lover of knee high and thigh high socks. They are just super comfortable and go with alot of my dresses and skirts. I’m not really a pants girl – so socks are my best friend. Socks are a definite winner to complete the nerd girl look.
- Penny Loafers: Seriously… loafers… need I say more? You can get some pretty cute ones too, not just the grandpa style. Give it a google. Otherwise if you’re out of options there, wear plain black ankle boots or pair sandals with white socks.
And my last tip – experiment with eyesore colours! Consider wearing pastels, neons and mixmatched patterns. Who cares if it doesn’t look right – you’re eager to ‘learn’, not eager to please 😉
I’ll finish off this blog with a picture of me in space with some cats. Just because.
Celebrating Christmas in July with my cats in space! Sending our love to you all. Love Tahnee! ??❤ // #awkwardphoto #insta #christmasinjuly #christmas #christmassweater #photoshop #photoshopart #cats #catsruleeverythingaroundme #universe #Space #photoshoot #model #Perth #westernaustralia #art #catsofinstagram #christmasphoto #christmasphotoshoot #christmasphotos