Chiqui’s Tapas and Tequila is a quirky little Mexican restaurant in central Leederville, north of Perth. Check out my food review on this place.
The other night I went on a double date to Chiqui’s Tapas and Tequila, a Mexican restaurant in Leederville, north of Perth.
It was really easy to find, located conveniently at the huge carpark in Leederville where that skate park is, you can’t really miss it. The outside looked inviting and I loved the interior decor, which was a combination of industrial meets street art. Really cool.
My girlfriend ordered one of their $15 cocktails and I ordered what I thought was a glass of wine, but really it was a shot of tequila! It tasted smooth though, and I sipped that shot in true, awkward style much to the amusement of everyone else (for the record, I skull my cocktails and sip my shots, can’t help it).
The design is gorgeous and different, with brilliant lighting and art work. It’s funky, no doubt about that. I also fell in love with the bold graffiti work that adorns the walls in this place. The artist is called ‘Destroy’. Check out what I’m talking about below:
His artwork is what really brings this quirky Mexican joint alive. See more of his talents at artbydestroy.com.au.
Moving along, the service was efficient and the waitress was friendly and informative. They were playing trance music over the speakers rather than traditional Mexican music, which obviously didn’t fit the theme of the place. We gathered because it was a quiet Thursday night they were restless and eager to get home? Either way, eating Mexican food to DJ Tiesto was still fun.
Upstairs, there was an awesome, intimate room. The woman on the wall – stunning. We all took photos. Also love the rustic, industrial exposed brickwork. Great decor.
Now to the food! ola!
THE FOOD WE ORDERED:
- CEVICHE – $10 – shrimp cured with tequila and lemon, served with jalapenos, red onion, avocado and corn chips
- GUACAMOLE – $7 (with plate of corn chips for extra $4) – fresh avocados crushed with herbs and spices.
- MEXICAN POTATO – $9 – Chunks of potato fried with spices, served with sour cream dip. This was asterisked as the managers recommendation.
Thoughts: Overload of corn chips galore, we didn’t think the ceviche was a dip. The mexican potato was amazing, so delicious, we wanted more of that potato!
- BURRITO: A massive flour tortilla parcel filled generously with choice of sauce and filling – then mixed with rice, onion, capsicum, jalapenos, corn, melted cheese, fresh lettuce and diced tomato – topped off with sour cream. Ordered with chicken with EXTRA HOT sauce.
- ENCHILADAS – $15 – A soft corn tortilla rolled with choice of filling, onion, capsicum, jalapenos, and corn – topped off with melted cheese, fresh lettuce, diced tomato and sour cream. Ordered with chicken and MILD sauce.
- TACOS – $14 – Two crisp corn taco shells filled with choice of filling and topped off with lettuce and cheese. Ordered with chicken and MILD sauce.
Thoughts: The sauce in the enchilada’s ordered were too hot to be classified as a ‘mild’, as they tasted more like a ‘medium’. My friend eating the tacos commented he loved the flavours but the chicken tasted slightly too dry and my other friend said he loved his extra hot burrito, he was fully sweating and enjoying it.
The bar looked pretty decked out, filled with glorious alcohol beverages. You won’t go thirsty here.
Overall, a great first time experience in this quaint mexican joint, but if you had to ask me what really won me over here – it was definitely the interior decor and the artwork. A goodlooking place that’s close to the action in Leederville.
Chiqui’s Tapas and Tequila
9/663 Newscastle Street,
Leederville, WA 6007
(Behind Niche Bar)