Need your makeup done for an event coming up? Save yourself the exhausting search – find out where the top MUA’s & salons are in my Perth beauty guide.
Women (and some men too) love wearing makeup! It’s a stylistic statement that is worn for many different reasons, and none of those reasons need to be justified to others. Makeup is a personal choice that can be an extension of yourself and how you are feeling at that moment in time. That’s some pretty liberating stuff right there!
Some enjoy the ritual of applying makeup, saying it’s their “zen” time in the morning, whereas others enjoy the feeling of power and confidence it gives them. While some enjoy using makeup to create different versions of themselves, others may believe they don’t look like themselves without it. While everyone has different reasons of why they choose to wear makeup, there is one common reason many can agree on, and that is that makeup is FUN!
The fun thing about makeup (just like fashion), is that it can transport you to another time and era by the colours used and the techniques applied. Or you could use makeup to create an illusion you are another character, or perhaps your favourite icon.
So why not start having some fun with your makeup and learning more about it? Don’t be worried, there are plenty of professional Makeup Artist freelancers and beauty & hair salons in Perth that can help you.
1920s Makeup by MUA Lindsey & hair by style director Michael, both from @fattyarbuckles ? Thankyou! Officially my new favourite all-in-one salon! ? (looking quite serious in this photo but I am half German after all) ? ?? ?? Wearing @sheikeandco ? #Gatsby #gatsbyball #1920s #1920smakeup #1920sfashion #1920shair #germangirl #aussiegirl #brunette #Befriendball
A majority of cosmetic brands in department stores like David Jones and Myer offer complimentary (but limited) time in talking to you about what colours may suit your face, or with redeemable purchase, they will spend longer time with you and apply your makeup. Stores like Mecca and Napolean Perdis will also apply your makeup in return for purchasing some of their products. Alternatively, you could always get your makeup done at a Hair & Beauty Salon (that do both) or why not just source a flexible mobile or home-based Freelancer? Your options are quite broad here in Perth.
The Cult of Australian Makeup is Growing Among Young Aussie Women
Maybe she’s born with it… or maybe it really is Maybelline, since it’s the current most popular cosmetics brand in Australia according to latest Roy Morgan Research.
Some 6.3 million Australian women 14+ (64%) buy makeup of some kind in an average six months, with nine of the 10 best-selling brands being foreign-owned: Maybelline, Revlon, Avon, L’Oréal, Covergirl, Rimmel, MAC, Max Factor and OPI.
But while global mega-brands like Maybelline and Revlon may dominate the Australian cosmetics market, home-grown Aussie brands are carving out a niche for themselves and giving the major brands a run for their money. Creeping just in at number 10 of the top makeup brands in Australia is Nude by Nature, purchased by 314,000 women during the dated time period (or 5% of total cosmetics buyers) – which puts it ahead of prestige brands Clinique and Estée Lauder.
What Cosmetic Items are Women Buying?
Almost two in every three (64%) Australian women aged 14+ buy some kind of makeup in an average six months. According to latest Roy Morgan research, foundation is the most popular item overall, purchased by 36% of women, ahead of mascara (26%), lipstick (23%), face powder (21%) and eyeliner/eye pencil (19%).
For me, if I had to pick only 5 cosmetic items to live with for the rest of my life (or if I was in a survival scenario, haha), my 5 picks are:
- Foundation – got to keep the complexion looking nice, helpful to cover the spots!
- Eyeshadow – I absolutely adore creating smokey-eye looks!
- Eyebrow pencil/eyeliner – Okay, I’m cheating a little here, but if the eye pencil can be multipurposeful as eyeliner and eyebrow pencil then that still counts as one
- Bronzer – I’m naturally pale and self-tan quite a bit, so I’d look odd without a bit of colour on my cheeks
- Moisturising Lipstick – can’t forget a little lippy. Needs to be moisturising so it doesn’t dry out the lips.
What are your top 5 cosmetic items you always need in your handbag?
Whether you’ve got a special event, small soiree or just because; here are the Top makeup stores and Makeup Artists in Perth that will apply your makeup perfectly to match any occasion, mood or outfit. This will be an ever expanding list, so please make sure to bookmark.
Top Makep Artist Stores & MUA Freelancers in Perth:
Artistry by Bianca, Perth Freelancer – https://www.facebook.com/ArtistrybyBianca
- Freelance Makeup Artist
- Studio & Mobile Service (Metro, Island & Country locations) *
- Training 2002 @ WA Institute of Beauty *
Artists at Play Makeup Academy, Mount Hawthorn – http://www.artistsatplay.com.au
- Specialises in bridal and special event makeup at their studio or your location
- Available to travel interstate and internationally
- Use M.A.C cosmetics with airbrushing available on request
- Rebecca Judd recommended Carol Mackie as one of her fav makeup artists from here, on her Bec Loves blog.
- Airbrushing workshops with Hendra Widjaja, another recommended makeup artist from Rebecca Judd’s blog.
Artistic Visions, East Perth and Applecross – http://www.artisticvisions.com.au/
- Hair and beauty salon in East Perth & Applecross
- Offers Youngblood Mineral Cosmetics
- Makeup application – $70 (plus $10 for lashes)
- Makeup lesson – $150 (1.5hrs)
- Bridal Make up Trial – $90
- Bridal Make up – $100
Beauty Contour, Cannington – http://beautycontour.com.au/
- Home based hair and makeup artistry in Perth
- Airbrush makeup – applied by compressor & airbrush gun
- Normal makeup – applied by normal brushes, sponge
- Hair styling
- Specialise in weddings, school balls, special occassion and photographic hair and makeup
- View prices here.
Benefit Cosmetics, Perth City, Garden City & Joondalup – https://www.benefitcosmetics.com/au/en-gb/find-a-store
Bobbi Brown, David Jones – http://www.bobbibrown.com.au/store_locator
- Instant Pretty: 5-10 minutes complimentary.
- Makeup Face Lift – 20 minutes complimentary.
- Make Up Application – 45 minutes for $75 redeemable with purchase.
- Bridal Beauty – 45 minutes for $75 redeemable with purchase.
- Bobbi’s Party – 2 hours, minimum of 6 people – $250 redeemable with purchase.
- Fully redeemable with a product purchase on day of service.
- Bookings essential.
Body Wisdom – Advanced Skin & Body Contouring Clinic, Mount Hawthorn – http://www.bodywisdomperth.com.au/
- Beauty Salon providing media spa and beauty therapy treatments
- Special occasion makeup – $70 (balls, hens night, birthday parties)
- Bridal makeup – $90 (On location can be arranged)
- 60 minute Makeup Lesson – $60 (Colour matching and application)
- WASP Eyelash Application – $35
Britanie Dyer Makeup Artist, Perth Freelancer – http://www.britaniedyermakeupartist.com.au/
- Personal & friendly service in makeup including bridal, balls, special occasions, photographic, television & film, makeup parties & lessons and spray tanning
- Uses high quality, professional products
Cassie & Co Styling, Shelley (South of the River) – https://www.facebook.com/CassiesMakeupArtistry
- Offers hair styling and expert in character makeup
- Specialises in photographic, school balls, weddings, special events
Chloe Joy: Makeup Artist, Perth Freelancer – http://www.abrushwithcolour.com/
- Makeup lessons are $110 per person and this includes an 8 piece professional brush set for each person to keep.
- She also runs private lessons and up to 6 people for group lessons.
- She can do a wide range of makeup styles for brides, school balls and any other occasions.
- View some of her work here.
Christina Rodio Makeup Artist, Perth – http://www.christinarodio.com/
- Bridal Make up $100
- Hair and make up combo for bride: $200
- Occasion & School Ball makeup: $100
- Occasion Make up & UpStyle: $200
- View full pricelist and services here.
- Travel included in prices for Perth area (any location out of this range will incur travel fee)
Christina T Makeup, Perth Freelancer – http://www.christinatmakeup.com.au/
- Mobile makeup service for weddings and special events throughout Perth
- Focuses on natural beauty to create stylish and a timeless look
- Can do bridal, hens night, fancy dress, balls, corporate events, interviews and other special occasion makeup
- Personal makeup lessons also available for one or group bookings for four
Clare Mac Makeup Artist, Perth Freelancer – http://www.claremacmakeupartist.com/
- Years of experience in makeup artistry including editorial, photographic, fashion shows and product training for other beauty professionals.
- Clare has been on the Official Perth Fashion Week makeup team, regularly has work published in fashion magazines both national & international and is also a Creative Director for Perth Modeling Academy.
- Stays up to date with the latest trends and perfects the timeless classics.
Crystal Glow, Freelancer Perth Area – http://www.crystal-glow.com.au
- Mobile hair and makeup artistry
- Specialising in bridal & event work
- Makeup lessons (group or one on one)
- Photoshoot Makeup $80 (excluding false lashes)
- Make Photoshoot Makeup $60 (excluding false lashes)
- See pricelist for more details.
Daniella Piscoopo Makeup Artist, Perth Freelancer – http://daniellapiscopo.com/
- Bridal makeup and hair
- Commercial, fashion, special events, school ball makeup services
- Makeup lessons and workshops
- Aviva Labs spraytanning
- View Makeup Prices here.
Dior, Myer & David Jones – http://www.dior.com/
- Flash Focus: 5-15 minutes complimentary.
- Star Launch Service: 20 Minutes complimentary or 1 hour for $50, redeemable on 2 Dior Products.
- All Dior Beauty Services subject to availability of a Dior Ambassador.
Elicia Rudd Hair & Make up Artist, Perth Freelancer – http://www.eliciarudd.com.au/
- Experience in both advertorial and editorial campaigns
- Passion for weddings is the forefront of her repertoire
- Wide range of clientele including Myer, Pandora, Flower Clothing, Fremantle Dockers and West Coast Eagles
Estee Lauder, David Jones & Myer – http://www.esteelauder.com.au/
- Instant Glow, Highlight & Contour, Spots, Fatigue Tricks, Wings, Lip: 3 minutes complimentary each.
Fatty Arbuckles, East Perth – http://fattyarbuckles.com.au
- Amazing hair Couture & Makeup Salon
- Make up Full Occasion – $85
- Make up for Eyes – $50
- Shout out to MUA Lindsey for doing my 1920’s makeup and Style Director Michael for doing my hair!
Hair & Makeup by Maggie, Perth – http://www.hairandmakeup.net.au/
- Freelancer with over 25+ years experience
- Weddings is her passion
- Also does photographic shoots, fashion parades (stage and theatre) and school balls
- Brides – $70 each
- Make up trial for brides – $60
- View her pricing here.
HAM Creative, Perth – http://www.hamcreative.com.au
- Professional hair and makeup services that are fully mobile throughout Perth
- Bridal makeup, special occasion and more.
- Highly recognised within the industry and have had their work published in The West, The Sunday Times STM, Xpress Fashion, WA Brides and more.
- View prices here.
Jagged Edge Hair & Makeup Salon, Edgewater – http://www.jaggededge.net.au/
- Exclusive, personalised one-on-one service
- Boutique salon with over 10 years experience
- Specialises in bridal hair and makeup using Arbonne cosmetics.
- Also do phootshoot makeup and gift packages.
Jacqueline Parker Creative, Perth & South West – http://www.perthmakeupartists.com
- 9% booking rate from trials
- Mobile Service to all areas in Perth & South West
- Competitive rates for top level service
- Artists with commercial hair + makeup experience
Jessica Ferrelli Hair & Makeup Artist, Freelancer Perth – http://www.jessicaferrelli.com
- Mobile Freelance hair and makeup artist
- 11+ years experience in beauty industry
- Experienced in bridal, special events, photographic
Jooj Hair & Body, Applecross – http://www.justblowdriesanddos.com.au/
- Professional Perth based salon
- Express Make up (eyes and lips) – $45
- School Ball Make up (including eyelashes) – $85
- Full Special Occasion/Bridal (includes eyelashes) – $95
- Makeup & hair packages available from $160
- Download their pricelist brochure here.
- Gift vouchers available
- Often do make up promo’s so look on website
Kasey Makeup Artist, Perth Freelancer – http://www.kaseymakeup.com/
- Has worked in fashion and bridal for 14 years
- Has worked with celebrity clients such as Molly Meldrum, David Campbell, Daniel Ricciardo and Perth Fashion Festival
- Work has been published in bridal magazines
- Has also trained at Sydney’s Napoleon Perdis Makeup Academy
Kristen Ashton Makeup Artist, Perth Freelancer – http://www.addictedtoglamour.com.au
- Available for commercial, fashion, bridal and film/TV work
- Featured in Australian & international publications such as Marie Claire and Virgin Australia
- Offers personal or group makeup lessons packages
- Specialises in bridal make up.
- Click here for services and prices.
Lancome, David Jones & Myer – http://www.lancome.com.au/
- Create your Signature Look: 15 minutes complimentary.
- The Art of Application: 45 minutes for $85 with National Makeup Artist or $45 for Normal Makeup Artist, both redeemable purchase on the day.
- Enhance Your Beauty: 45 minutes for $45 redeemable with purchase.
Laura Mercier, David Jones & Myer – http://www.lauramercier.com/
- Flawless in 15 – complimentary 15 minutes
- Colour Discovery: $45 minutes or complimentary when you purchase any 2 products.
- Makeup Lesson: $45 or complimentary when you purchase any 2 products.
Lisa Chester, Cottesloe-based Freelancer – http://www.lisachester.com.au/
- Has been working in the photographic, fashion & bridal industry for over 20 years and worked on over 18,000 faces
- Has had work published in London while working with top UK fashion photographers
- Likes to meet ‘brides to be’ in a personal atmosphere with a trial by private appointment at her Cottesloe home.
- $100 per person for hair & $100 per person for makeup
- Lashes can be supplied for $15 per person
Lush Hair & Makeup, Perth – http://www.lushhairandmakeup.com.au/
- Mobile hair and make up in Perth
- Offers professional make up lessons and special occasion hair & make up
- Available for photography, fashion and editorial bookings
MAC Cosmetics, in Myer & David Jones – http://www.maccosmetics.com.au/stores
- Eyes in 30 minutes – $60
- Makeup in 60 minutes – $95
- Makeup Lesson in 90 minutes – $150
- Brow Theory in 30 minutes – $45
- Brow Shaping in 45 minutes – $60
Me by Maurice Meade, Claremount Quarter – http://mauricemeade.com.au/services/hair-and-makeup/
- Full glamour make-up application – $75
- Luxurious hair & makeup packages.
- Gift Vouchers available.
- View the Hair & Beauty Menu here.
Mecca Cosmetica & Mecca Maxima Stores, various WA locations – http://mecca.com.au/store-locator
- 45 Minutes
- $90 redeemable for products purchased on the day
- Also do complimentary lash application on the day with any false lash purchase or with any makeup application at both Mecca Cosmetica and Mecca Mximie stores.
- Bookings essential.
Minu Threading, Subiaco & Kingsway – http://www.minuthreading.com.au/
- Specialises in Indian Bridal Makeup with expert in Indian Weddings
- Full range of organic, hypoallergenic makeup that can match any skin type and complexion
- Hair and makeup packages available
Minx Cosmetics, South West (Dunsborough Area) – http://www.minxcosmetics.com.au
- Mobile hair and makeup agency in the South West
- Do photoshoots, weddings, formal events and bridal.
- Visit their Facebook Page for up to date info: https://www.facebook.com/MinxCosmetics
Napoleon Perdis, various WA locations – http://napoleonperdis.com/aus/nplocator
- Instant Glamification – 45 minutes for $89 redeemable with purchase
- The Makeup Shake Up Lesson – 60 minutes for $99 redeemable with purchase
- All About Eyes – 30 minutes for $60 redeemable with purchase
- Complexion Perfection – 30 minutes for $60 redeemable with purchase
- Rules of Engagement (Bridal) – 60 minutes for $100 redeemable with purchase. Trial service is $89 also redeemable with purchase.
Shu Uemura, David Jones – http://shuuemura.com.au/en/
- Make-Over for 45 minutes, $75 redeemable with purchase (excluding lashes)
- Eye Make-Over for 20 minutes, $30 redeemable with purchase (excluding lashes)
- One-to-one Make up Lesson for 1 hour 30 minutes, $150 redeemable with purchase (excluding lashes)
- Bridal Makeup Consultation for 1 hour 30 minutes, $150 redeemable with purchase (excluding lashes)
- Brow Style Atelier – Brow Tidying (10-20 minutes for $45) or Brow Shaping (30-40 minutes $60)
- Learning Atelier – 2 hours for $120, redeemable with purchase (excluding lashes)
- Complimentary: Hard Formula Eye Brow & Pencil Sharpening
- Complimentary: False Eyelash Application with every eyelash application
Sophie Barlow, Perth Freelancer Artist – http://www.sophiebarlow.com.au/
- Specialises in bridal, fashion, advertising, film & television
- Uses professional, luxury products such as NARS, MAC, Smashbox, Makeup
Sparkling Bell Makeup Artistry, Perth Mobile – http://www.sparklingbellemakeupartistry.com.au/
- Team of artists across Australia, mobile to Melbourne, Sydney, Perth and Brisbane
- Can do vintage makeup, glamour makeup, natural and romantic makeup
- View their Packages, Pricing & Services here.
Tanya Stiller Makeup Artist Freelancer, Perth – https://www.facebook.com/tanja.stiller
- Makeup Artist at Napoleon Perdis
- Studied Retail Make up and Skin Care
Total Brides Mobile Hair & Makeup, Perth – http://www.totalbrides.com.au/
- Provides extensive range of mobile hair and makeup services throughout Perth
- Specialise in bridal and phootshoots, magazine, makeover and TV
- Available for school balls and other special occasions
- View services and prices here.
Vera Coleski Makeup Artist, Perth Freelancer – http://veracoleskimakeupartistry.com.au/
- Bridal makeup – $110 (if liquid contouring required it’s $130)
- Glamour makeup – $110
- Fashion & Editorial – $110
- School ball – $100
- On location makeup – $110 (+ travel fee to desired location)
- View full price list here.
- Workshops available – group of 4 for 3.5 hours is $200 per person or private 2 hour lesson is $180
Wedding Bells Hair & Makeup, Based from North Perth – http://www.weddingbelleshairandmakeup.com.au/
- A team of mobile specialists in bridal, glamour and special ocassions
- Flexible to go north or south of the river in Perth, seven days a week, any time of the day to late at night.
- View their prices here.
Your Colours Image Consultants, West Perth – http://www.yourcolours.com.au
- Perth based image consultancy that specialises in colour and style makeovers
- Gives clients knowledge and skills to purchase clothes, cosmetics, accessories, eyewear and jewellery with confidence
- Affordable makeover solution for long term saving and creating a wardrobe with your colours
Zedz Hair Beauty Salon & Day Spa, Palmyra (South of the River) – http://www.zedz.net.au/
- Specialise in hair styling, grooming, pampering, beauty and fashion services
- Offers a complete and professional make-up service
- Caters for bridal party makeup, school ball makeup, magazine and television and editorial makeup, fashion, photoshoots, parties and any event makeup
- Regularly holds make-up workshops for adults and teenagers.
- Gift vouchers available
Send me your suggestions!
No doubt I missed some great freelancers and businesses that could be featured in this list. Please comment below or send me an email and I will get them added on here as soon as possible.